Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Childhood Memory of the Library (4th in a series)

Growing up in central Florida was full of hot hot summers.  The library was one of the few places with air conditioning.  Going to pick out books was always so inviting and cool.  Even more exciting was the book mobile that came to our neighborhood once every two weeks.  It was also air conditioned!  The summer of 3rd grade was a particular scorcher without our normal afternoon showers to cool things off.  I remember waiting on the steaming hot pavement in the hazy, humid afternoon, eagerly waiting my turn to walk through the traveling library and choose my books.  My favorite books that summer were Madeleine L’Engle’s  A Wrinkle in Time and Jack London’s Call of the Wild and White Fang.  Losing myself in the frozen Alaskan wilderness or the coolness of outer space and time travel gave me many hours of imagined chilly summer fun.  That summer I read all 50 books on the summer reading list and cemented my joy of reading forever.

That's my childhood memory of the library...what's yours?

No comments: