Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Childhood Memory of the Library (3rd in a series)

I got my first library card at the age of eight.  I don’t remember the first book I signed out, but it was likely Jo’s Boys, as I had received Little Women and Little Men for my eighth birthday.  Louisa May Alcott continued to be a favorite author as I read the many books on the shelf in the Children’s section by her.

One  memory I have is that I signed out a book at 9:00 AM one morning and returned it at 4:00 PM that same afternoon, as I had finished reading it already.  The librarian scolded me for returning it on the same day--I confused him when I wanted to sign out another book and he couldn’t find the card as it was in the current day’s drop slot.  It probably wasn’t a happy moment then, but I wasn’t deterred from reading as much as I could and as often as I could.  The library truly opened new worlds to me.

That's my childhood memory of the library...what's yours?

No comments: