Friday, February 15, 2013

Staff Picks

I just finished reading Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke.  This story involves many settings (the Titanic, a farm in New Jersey, London, World War I field hospitals) and major and minor characters.  Michael, a stowaway on the Titanic survives and sets out to find the farm and family of his fellow passenger and friend Owen who didn’t survive.  Michael hopes to fulfill his friend’s dream of bringing his younger sister Annie to America.  Michael and Annie’s story makes up the romance element of the book.  I enjoyed the whole story.  I enjoy reading about the Titanic and it’s survivors (fictional or real).  I liked the way the story continued after the sinking and brought World War I into the storyline.  I learned a few things about the families of Titanic victims that I didn’t know before.  I liked the way the author explored the faith of the characters in their storylines.  If you enjoy this story as much as I did, you might also enjoy the following titles.

A Distant Melody by Sarah Sundin (book 1 in the Wings of Glory series)
Echoes of Titanic by Mindy Starns Clark
Hope Takes Flight by Gilbert Morris
Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke (book 1 in the Love Comes Softly series)

Kim Cavalenes
Selection Assistant


No comments: