Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Library Limelight: Sarah Reynolds at Post Road

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff.  We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Sarah prepares to compete on the FCPL team
“Spells Like Teen Spirit” at Spell Check LIVE! 2014.
Sarah Reynolds
Information Services Supervisor
Post Road Library

Where is your hometown?
Acworth, GA
How long have you been at FCPL?
Just over a year
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
This is it! 
Why did you choose to work in a library?
It was a fluke. I quit my job in graphic design and for the first time since I was 13 I had no job. I took advantage of the opportunity to explore what I wanted to do, and there was an opening at Chestatee Regional Library System for a part-time job. I applied, got an interview, and waited, and waited, and waited. It turned out a full-time position was coming open and they wanted to offer it to me. Within 2 years I was enrolled in library school, and the rest, as they say, is history! 
Describe your job in five words or less.
Bartender without the booze?
What is unique about your job?
Because every day and every person presents a different combination of personalities, questions, and logistical/technical issues, you truly never know what each day will hold. 
What is your favorite part of your job?
I get to help people  with seemingly little things that mean something to them, and no other institution out there offers this service – for free, without judgment, and with respect.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
Belize. I stayed in a cabin without electricity for 8 days, out in the middle of a 600,000 acre jaguar preserve. We hiked at least 5 miles a day. I hitchhiked for the first time in my life and washed my clothes in a stream.
What are your hobbies?
Knitting, crafting of any kind, really. Reading when I can. Does sleeping count?
What are you reading right now?
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (Lit Chicks) and Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling pseudonym)
Paper books or eBooks?
Paper… and LOTS of audio

No comments: