Thursday, December 4, 2014

Library Limelight: Nishreen Akolawala, Public Services

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff.  We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Nishreen Akolawala
Collection Support Aide
Cumming Library

Where is your hometown?

Mumbai, India

How long have you been at FCPL?

One year and five months

What other jobs have you had at FCPL?

This is my first.

Why did you choose to work in a library?

When I moved from Mumbai to Maryland in 1994, the local library was so important to me. I have always loved to read and I was amazed at the facilities and materials offered for free in so many languages, since that part of Maryland was so diverse. The library offered programs for my son, and that helped me meet other parents and make new friends.

Describe your job in five words or less.

Enjoyable, flexible, part-time, detailed, physical, and organized

What is unique about your job?

I’m always on the move. This is not a sitting type of job.

What is your favorite part of your job?

Getting to see all the books and resources that are available. And I absolutely enjoy the camaraderie that I share with my co -workers.

What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?

I think the US is the most interesting place. People from all over the world come here to visit or to live. If we choose to, we can sample cuisine and learn about other cultures from around the world in our own city.

What are your hobbies?

Crafting. I love making things – stamping, bow making, Zentangle.

What are you reading right now?

When Red is Black by Xiaolong Qiu. It’s a murder mystery set in Shanghai, but the book also describes what it’s like to live in modern Chinese society.

Paper books or eBooks?

Paper. I find it hard to focus on an eBook and that I easily forget what I’ve read when it’s in a digital form.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

We moved to Georgia four years ago and it’s been reassuring to find a community that is friendly, polite, accepting, and open-minded. It’s been a good experience and I really like it here.

No comments: