Friday, September 4, 2015

Staff Picks - Adult Non-Fiction

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler





Chose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris




Gumption by Nick Offerman





Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan





A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety by Jimmy Carter





Non-fiction foray! Being a perpetual fiction reader since the age of 4, factual books have always eluded my pleasure reading interest. I was determined to venture down a new literary path. This summer I have listened to some excellent stories. I started with autobiographies of Amy Poehler and Neil Patrick Harris, read by the authors. I had such fun listening to them that I added a book by another entertainer, Nick Offerman from Parks and Recreation, and then decided to start adding any biographies read by their authors. Hearing stories in the authors' own voices is terrific. My summer trips have been riddled with smiles, laughter and even a few tears. The best side effect was my habitual use of a dictionary to make sure I had the best definitions for the vocabulary used by these funny, intelligent and interesting people. If you have a long commute or plans for a long car ride in your future I recommend picking up some great non-fiction CDBs at your favorite library branch.

Denise Leeson
Branch Manager
Cumming Library

No comments: