Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Library Limelight: Bruce Koehler, Volunteer, Cumming Library

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff.  We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Later this month, libraries across the country will honor their staff and volunteers as part of the ALA's Celebrate National Library Week. In this month's edition of Library Limelight, we're honoring a veteran volunteer at the Cumming Library.

Bruce Koehler
Volunteer
Cumming Library

Where is your hometown?
Massapequa, New York, on the island
How long have you been at FCPL?
This is my 25th year with FCPL, and I volunteer four days a week.
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
I started in 1989 after recovering from a stroke (July 24, 1988). Previously, I worked at Norfolk-Southern in Virginia for ten years.
Why did you choose to work in a library?
I heard about the opportunity from people at the library while recovering.
Describe your job in five words or less.
Books, Audiobooks, DVDs, and Alphabetizing.
What is unique about your job?
I have to communicate with everyone, co-workers and patrons alike, with limited speech. 
What is your favorite part of your job?
I keep track of how much I accomplish every day and it is rewarding to me.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
I have been to Alaska three times. The fresh air is exhilarating!
What are your hobbies?
I attend North Lanier Baptist Church and the Optimist Club.
What are you reading right now?
I am reading about the United Kingdom, specifically Bedfordshire and London, as I would like to go there sometime.
Paper books or eBooks?
Paper.
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
I sometimes use a Franklin Language Master device to help communicate.

1 comment:

Another library volunteer said...

Bruce is awesome! He is the hardest working volunteer I know and always has a smile for everyone. He is an asset to the library and they are very fortunate that he has decided to work there.