Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Library Limelight: Meredith Causey, Information Services Supervisor, Sharon Forks Library

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff.  We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Meredith on the Hidden Lake Trail,
Glacier National Park, Montana
Meredith Causey
Information Services Supervisor
Sharon Forks Library

Where is your hometown?
Snellville, GA
How long have you been at FCPL?
3.5 years
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
This is my only one, so far.
Why did you choose to work in a library?
From the time I was about eleven years old, I dreamed of becoming a book editor. I began my library career as a student worker while earning my undergraduate degree at UGA in Journalism. After a year working as a graphic designer/typesetter, I decided that I didn’t want to move to a large city like New York to work in the book publishing industry, and I liked the library world, so I went back to work at the UGA Library while I earned a Masters of Library and Information Science degree.
Describe your job in five words or less.
Scheduling, adult programs, and customer service.
What is unique about your job?
I have the pleasure of supervising an amazing team of co-workers while still being able to assist patrons every day.
What is your favorite part of your job?
I love connecting a person with either a book they’ve been longing to read or with a new book discovery. I especially love it when I can put a book into a child’s hands that he or she wants and seeing his or her little face light up with excitement.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
I’ve been fortunate to travel a bit, but I’ll say Glacier National Park since it’s the freshest in my memory. It’s such a shame that the actual glaciers are forecasted to be completely gone within my lifetime. 
What are your hobbies?
Reading, hiking, knitting, and I have a make-up collecting obsession. I own over 300 shades of eye shadow. I actually cataloged my collection for one of my library school projects, and that was over ten years ago, so it’s grown a bit since then.
What are you reading right now?
I read a variety of different things. I usually have at least four books in progress at once; one to read at home, one to read on breaks at work, one audiobook in my car, and one audiobook on my phone. I’m currently reading the new Wings of Fire: Talons of Power children’s book and I’m listening to Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly for our upcoming Book Chat and also to The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer that a patron recommended to me.
Paper books or eBooks?
AUDIOBOOKS! They keep me sane in our ever-increasing traffic. But paper. I look at a computer too much at work to use electronic devices at home. 
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
I’m part of FCPL’s Goodreads.com committee, so be sure to sign up for a free Goodreads account. I absolutely love Goodreads. It’s an easy way to keep track of books you’ve read, compare your reviews with your friends, and discover new authors and titles to read. 

No comments: