Friday, March 2, 2018

Staff Favorites - Adult Non-Fiction

Kitchen Matrix by Mark Bittman

Mark Bittman is one of the country’s best-known and most widely respected food writers. His book A Bone to Pick educates readers about where their food comes from.  Kitchen Matrix includes over 750 simple recipes with techniques to ix and match. I found the design and color pictures in this hardback book wonderful.  I found this book informative, fascinating and helpful.

I appreciated the pictures of spices in their raw form. Many of these ingredients I’ve only seen ground up in a jar. I liked the fact that he puts together flavors that complement one another and taste great. He’s taken the guess work out of cooking for me. I liked the section on entertaining. I love having a go-to book where I can look at what’s in my cupboard and see what I can create from it.

I can’t wait to start making some recipes from the veggie chapter. This author says, “You can probably tell by the length of this chapter that I’m a little obsessed with vegetables. Not only are they what we should be eating more of than anything else, but there are nearly countless varieties that can be prepared (cooked or not), in an endless number of ways…this chapter is ordered largely by season, which is meant to facilitate the kind of ingredients–driven cooking that I highly recommend when it comes to produce.”

This is my new go to book for seasonal vegetables recipes. There is a fun section titled Thanksgiving leftovers that looks inviting and innovative. Some of the desserts look great. Some that stand out are the recipes on donuts, brownies, Ice pops and the fruit desserts look wonderful. This book would make a great gift for any skilled or unskilled cook!

Nora St. Laurent
Collection Support Aide