Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Staff Picks - Adult Non-Fiction

The Skinnytaste Cookbook by Gina Homolka

The author talks about her journey to eating healthy and creating meals her family likes to eat. She says she wants to love the food she eats and I feel the same way. She talks about how we get “stuck” in the diet trap by buying processed, so-called “weight loss” foods that are nothing more than junk food.

There are 150 recipes in this book that are easy to make. The ones I tried have low-calories and use made-from-fresh ingredients found in a regular super market. I was over joyed at how flavorful the dishes were and how much my family loved them.

I made Kiss My (Shrimp) and Grits recipe. When I tasted this dish, I felt like there was a flavorful party going on in my mouth. I could see my family's faces smiling as they ate. It was happening to them too. When I made the Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut cookies; I never imagined putting avocado into a cookie or that it would taste so amazing. My family enjoyed the cookies and eate every one. I also made the Pumpkin-Obsessed Vanilla-Glazed Scones (yummy), Quinoa Tabbouleh and Acorn Squash, all good.

The author has a key to each recipe that tells the reader if the recipe is V – Vegetarian, GF – Gluten Free, Q – Quick (30 minutes or less) FF = Freezer Friendly – SC – Slow Cooker. Gina helps simplify eating healthy. This is a beautiful hardback book with wonderful pictures inside of food and some of Gina and her family. I can’t wait to try more recipes and learn more from The Skinnytaste Cookbook.

Nora St. Laurent
Collection Support Aide