Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Library Limelight: Stephanie Hampson, Youth Services Supervisor, Hampton Park Library

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Stephanie Hampson
At the top of Amicalola Falls.
My legs did NOT fall off on the hike up!

Youth Services Supervisor
Hampton Park Library

Where is your hometown?
I hail from the Wild, Wild West … Phoenix, AZ.
How long have you been at FCPL?
5 years and counting!
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
Just this one.
Why did you choose to work in a library?
I love, love, love working with children and their families! I love sharing books, inspiring creativity, and making messes!  
Describe your job in five words or less.
Glitter, organized chaos, laughter, puppets
What is unique about your job?
I am always learning new things! This week I learned how to draw a 3D handprint, last week I learned that you can make UV paint by mixing laundry detergent and paint (thanks, Kayla!), and this summer I’m going to grow stalactites. I’ve made hula skirts from tablecloths, raced Spheros, built ships, and played a banana piano – it’s always something new and it’s always something F-U-N!
What is your favorite part of your job?
Is it bad to say everything!? I don’t know if I can narrow it down – I love the planning and presenting of programs. I love hanging out with families in the children’s area and listening to stories about their lives. I love having a super successful program and seeing the children’s faces when they suddenly understand or are inspired about whatever they just learned. I enjoy being goofy and putting on crazy puppet shows!
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
Good question! If I had to pick, I’d probably say Greece is up at the top of my list. I spent a couple weeks in a small town and met the best people, ate amazing food, and still can’t get over the beaches I saw!
What are your hobbies?
Reading (of course!) and crafting are my two biggest hobbies. I knit, quilt, crochet, and am learning how to do needle felting. I’m an amateur DIYer and also like to travel, take pictures, and explore new places!
What are you reading right now?
I’m getting ready to start Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence (yay! I’ve been waiting for this one!) and I’m working my way through Mis(h)adra by Iasmin Omar Ata. Then I have about a dozen books in a waiting-to-be-read pile … 
Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?
It depends. For authors that I love, I prefer the heft of a physical book. I love turning the pages and the feel and smell of a book. With a good narrator, I could listen to audiobooks all day long and sometimes can’t get into the print book at all. There are some narrators who can bring me right into a story and make me fall in love with the characters.
eBooks I can take or leave. When I really want to read something and don’t have a preference I’ll pretty much read whatever I can get my hands on first, eBooks included.
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
I’m truly fortunate in that I have an awesome job that I love. I work in an amazing county, and with some truly wonderful people! Everyone has made this desert rat feel right at home!