Thursday, December 3, 2015

Library Limelight: Barbara Safstrom, Branch Support Aide, Sharon Forks Library

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians and staff.  We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Barbara Safstrom
Branch Support Aide
Sharon Forks Library

Where is your hometown?
I was born in Moline, Illinois.  Growing up, my dad was transferred a couple of times between there and Elmhurst, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago).
How long have you been at FCPL?
9 years
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
CSA
Why did you choose to work in a library?
My first job in a library was back in Elmhurst.  At that time it was in an old, historic home, within walking distance to my house.  When I saw the notice for a 12-hour-a-week page (CSA) position, it was too convenient to pass up.  I really enjoyed being in that building.  My supervisor’s desk was in front of a beautiful fireplace.  The basement and attic were used for storage, so I got to experience all of it.        
Describe your job in five words or less.
Routinely diverse
What is unique about your job?
The variety and amount of tasks that I do keep this job interesting and fun. 
What is your favorite part of your job?
Helping out my coworkers – shelving when we get backed up, locating & ordering supplies needed for programs, etc. 
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
My husband, Dave, is retired Navy, so we’ve lived several places.  My favorite was Whidbey Island, Washington (hiking!) – with Carmel Valley, California a close second. Last year Dave took me to Scotland for my 60th birthday. 
What are your hobbies?
Reading, cross stitch, sewing primitive crafts, baking pies and cookies
What are you reading right now?
Hissing Cousins: the untold story of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth, by Marc N. Peyser
Paper books or eBooks?
Paper books and eMagazines

No comments: