Thursday, December 3, 2015

Staff Picks - Adult Non-Fiction

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up:  The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō; translated from Japanese by Cathy Hirano

Kondō gives some very good advice for "tidying" your space. I think it is very revolutionary for the American way of thinking. She urges you to tackle all of your possessions within a specific timeline, one big category at a time. For instance, begin with every single article of clothing you own and pile it into one big pile and touch each piece and ask, "Does this bring me joy?" If your immediate answer is yes, you keep it. If you waver or think no, then you get rid of it. Any item you forgot to add to the pile is an immediate no, except for the items in the wash. She also has a very detailed method of how to store and organize your drawers and closets to maximize space and preserve your treasured belongings.   The goal is to be surrounded only by things that bring you joy and happiness. She uses a very Zen approach to how you should tidy your space that is very motivating. I found myself guilty of some of her "no" principles, such as storing boxes at my parents. I know what I'll be doing over the holidays...

Meredith Causey
Information Services Supervisor

No comments: