Monday, December 31, 2018

Library Limelight: Cleo Joyce, Youth Services Supervisor, Sharon Forks Library


Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians, staff, and volunteers. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!


Cleo Joyce
Youth Services Supervisor
Sharon Forks Library


Where is your hometown?
Spokane, WA
How long have you been at FCPL?
A little over 7 years.
What other jobs have you had at FCPL?
I had a brief stint as Program Manager, but returned to my position at Sharon Forks when I realized that I really missed working with the public!
Why did you choose to work in a library?
I wanted to make a positive difference in my community and help to grow future readers.
Describe your job in five words or less.
Go, go, go, eat, go.
What is unique about your job?
I’ve seen youth services dramatically change and grow during my time at FCPL. We have a very talented and creative group of youth librarians and I love getting to work with my amazing team at Sharon Forks and the larger team across the system.
What is your favorite part of your job?
Getting to make personal connections with kids and families. Having been at the same branch for seven years, I’ve seen elementary kiddos grow into VolunTEENs, storytime regulars become chapter book readers, parents of one become parents of three, and babies from my first Books & Babies groups start kindergarten. Getting to be their librarian for all these exciting changes is a true privilege!
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
I love travelling! I did a study abroad in college in London and have been back many times since. Some of the more “off the beaten path” places I’ve been include Krakow, Poland, the Canary Islands, and Vieques, Puerto Rico.
What are your hobbies?
Baking, yoga, and binge watching TV shows.
What are you reading right now?
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Mass (This book is almost 1,000 pages. Clearly the author did not have new moms in mind when she wrote it, even though she herself is also a new mom.)
Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?
Audio all the way!
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
My husband and I welcomed our first child, Fiona, in May. Life is crazy, but awesome!