Thursday, August 29, 2019

Volunteer Spotlight

Volunteer Spotlight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our volunteers. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who donate their time to help make our libraries great!


Bunny Salter
Headquarters
Bunny and John Salter in Budapest on their Orient Express trip

Where is your hometown?
Gering, Nebraska


How long have you volunteered at FCPL?
            Since 2010                                                                       

What made you choose to volunteer at FCPL?

John and I had just retired and moved to Cumming from Scottsdale, AZ to be closer to our daughters’ families. Previously I had worked in a medical laboratory and wanted to do something completely different. I have loved reading, books, and libraries all my life, so this was a great fit. I also wanted to learn about our new community and Forsyth County. I can’t think of a better place to learn than the library. Another incentive was that Hampton Park was scheduled to open in 2010 and our granddaughters lived in that subdivision. I thought I would be helping out there. The Materials Department had other ideas, but I was able to help get the materials prepared for Hampton Park so I felt that I directly helped my granddaughters get a fine local library branch up and running.
  
What is your favorite part of volunteering at FCPL?

The people with whom I work are awesome. In all departments they are friendly, knowledgeable and supportive and have made me feel special since the day I started. I also love the sense of contributing to the community.


What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?

We have been fortunate to have lived for 5 years in the Netherlands and visited 30 countries and 44 U.S. states. I have enjoyed every one of the places we have lived and visited, so I really can’t choose a favorite.

What are your hobbies?

Besides traveling, I love painting with oils, acrylics and watercolor, gardening, spending time  with our families, and enjoying time with our dog, Buddy, and cat, Black Piet, (both rescue animals). I also volunteer at the Cumming Library Friends Bookstore and am hospitality chair of the Sawnee Association of the Arts.

What are you reading right now?

I am currently reading MacPherson’s Lament by Sharyn McCrumb

Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?

Paper, please!

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

The Forsyth County Public Library system is the best I have ever seen. I can’t think of a better place to volunteer.