Saturday, February 27, 2021

FCPL 2021 Reading Challenge - February Pick


 The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I saw the movie “The Kite Runner” (based on the book published in 2003) in 2007, and loved it. I found it very moving and inspiring, and I remember thinking, “I’ve got to read the book!” Fourteen years later, I finally read the book, thanks to FCPL’s 2021 Reading Challenge. February’s challenge was to read a book that has been made into a movie or a TV series, so I chose The Kite Runner. I found the book as moving as the film.

The novel takes readers from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy through the horrific rule of the Taliban. The Kite Runner is the unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely and inseparable friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, both of whom are caught in the tragic events of history. It is about the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption. It also explores the unique relationships between fathers and sons – and what a son will do to gain his father’s love.

This beautiful, powerful novel is a story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years. Published in the aftermath of 9/11 and America's invasion of Afghanistan, Khaled Hosseini's haunting writing brings a part of the world to vivid life that was previously unknown.  

The Kite Runner is available in print, Large Print, CD Book, eBook, and Graphic Novel formats if you want to check it out. We even have a Chinese language copy in our World Languages collection! I hope you will find this book as meaningful and as eye-opening as I did.



No comments: