Friday, January 13, 2023

Library Limelight: Michelle Van Leer, Collection Support Aide

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians, staff, and volunteers. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!

Name: Michelle Van Leer
Position: Collection Support Aide (CSA) 
Location: Cumming Library

Where is your hometown?

Miami, Florida. I moved to Georgia with my family when I was 14. 

  

How long have you been at FCPL?

5 years.


What other jobs have you had at FCPL?

So far just a Collection Support Aide.


Why did you choose to work in a library?

The library seemed like the perfect place to work for an introvert and I love that libraries are such an important part of the community.


Describe your job in five words or fewer.

Shelving, checking in, always moving.


What is unique about your job?

One of the things I found really interesting when I first started working here was seeing how a library ran behind the scenes. I love that I get to be part of keeping the library running and getting books back on the shelves for patrons to enjoy.


What is your favorite part of your job?

I love helping patrons find specific books while I’m out on the floor shelving. I also like helping train new CSAs.

 

What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?

One of the most interesting places I’ve been to was a tiny mountain town in Spain called Folledo, where I got to meet some of my family members for the first time. It’s the town that my great-grandfather was from. Another favorite travel experience of mine was road tripping from Colorado to California with my boyfriend Aaron. We visited 6 national parks and camped along the way. I got to face my fear of heights and hike all the way up to Angel’s Landing at Zion National Park.


What are your hobbies?

I love baking, traveling, hiking, running, photography, reading and making art prints and stickers for my Etsy shop.


What are you reading right now?

I’m reading Goblin by Josh Malerman and The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson. I’m also listening to The Death of Jane Lawrence by Caitlin Starling on audio.


Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?

Paper books and audiobooks. 


Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I’ve really enjoyed working at the library! Everyone is always super nice and it’s been my favorite job that I’ve worked.

No comments: