Friday, August 16, 2024

Friends of the Library Book Recommendations: Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

 

Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

Yes, you read that right. That is indeed the name of the short story collection written and read by actor, Tom Hanks. I didn't quite know what to expect when I first chose to dip my toes into the audio version of this book. I am happy to report that it was time well spent, whether I had it to accompany me during a walk, running errands, or driving somewhere. 

The book is a collection of sixteen short stories that encompasses themes of relationship, nostalgia, human nature, trauma, technological advancements, and immigrant experiences. Although these stories can be enjoyed independently to an extent, I would recommend reading them in order.

There are a multitude of repeated characters that are woven into some of these stories. My personal favorite, and the one that made me forget that this is a fictional story and not a memoir has to be: “Three Exhausting Weeks”, the first story in the collection. It is upbeat, funny, and keeps you hooked.


Throughout the rest of the book, I was delighted by the level of nerdiness Hanks displayed in stories like “Welcome to Mars” and “Alan Bean Plus Four”. If you ever stop to wonder whether the technological advancement of the current world has made us more productive or given us a sense of perceived productivity having us peer at our smart devices every so often, you might also enjoy “The Meditations of My Heart”. 

Each story in this collection invited me to an imaginary world most times very different from my own and allowed me to experience wonderful moments born out of their world’s characters; sometimes traumatic, whimsical, and nostalgic. This book is a stunning introduction into the literary mind of an incredible actor. By the time you finish this, I am certain you will see the writer in Hanks with a renewed interest.

Smriti
Friends of the Library Volunteer


No comments: