Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Volunteer Spotlight: Harriett “Dixie” Banitt, Hampton Park Library

Volunteer Spotlight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our volunteers. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who donate their time to help make our libraries great!

Harriett “Dixie” Banitt
Hampton Park


Where is your hometown?
I’m originally from Richmond, Virginia. I have lived in several states and now Cumming is my “hometown.”
How long have you volunteered at FCPL?
About 5 years
Why did you choose to volunteer for FCPL?
I love libraries! Supporting the library is a great way to serve a community.
What is your favorite part of volunteering at FCPL?
The friendly and supportive staff at Hampton Park. The opportunity to handle and shelve so many books.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?
The most meaningful spot I’ve visited is the shore of the Sea of Galilee where I thought, “Jesus stood on this spot.” I've also enjoyed visits to family in Norway and one year teaching English in a Christian school in Japan. 
What are your hobbies?
Reading, gardening, needlework, traveling. and being with family
What are you reading right now?
The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?
I prefer paper books, but I use a Kindle when traveling. 
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
As a librarian in a public library and a public school, I loved connecting patrons or students to books or series that they loved. It’s a great joy to see others enjoy reading and learning.