Thursday, December 3, 2020

Library Limelight: Preetha Thalamuthu, Materials Assistant, Headquarters

Library Limelight is intended to be a quick read to help FCPL patrons get to know our librarians, staff, and volunteers. We hope you enjoy learning about the people who make our libraries great!


Preetha Thalamuthu
Materials Assistant
Headquarters

Where is your hometown?

I’m from Theni, a small town in southern India. Cumming has been my home for the past 14 years.

How long have you been at FCPL?

Three years       

What other jobs have you had at FCPL?

I was a volunteer in the Materials department, then I joined the staff as the Materials Processor. I became the Materials Assistant earlier this year.

Why did you choose to work in a library?

My kids and I visited the library as often as we could when they were growing up. When an opportunity opened up to work at this familiar place, I was very excited to apply. The ease of the commute is an added bonus.

Describe your job in five words or less.

Ordering, receiving, processing, repairing materials.

What is unique about your job?

Working to get the new materials processed and into the hands of waiting patrons in a timely manner. Also, extending the life of materials by repairing them to library standards.

What is your favorite part of your job?

Getting a sneak peek at the new books before they hit the shelves. 

What’s the most interesting place you’ve lived or traveled?

Our family loves travelling and we are always looking for new destinations to visit. I really loved Yosemite National Park. I was awestruck by its magnificence. 

What are your hobbies?

Traveling, gardening, and spending time with family and friends.

What are you reading right now?

The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate

Paper books, eBooks, or audiobooks?

Paper for pleasure and eBooks for convenience. 

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

As a native speaker of Tamil, I am really thrilled by the growing number of Tamil books in our World Languages collection. 


No comments: