Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Staff Picks: The Last Saxon King by Andrew Varga

The Last Saxon King by Andrew Varga

I am a sucker for books about time travel, and I recently found a new young adult series called Jump in Time by Andrew Varga. The first book in the series is called The Last Saxon King, and I read the entire book over one weekend! It was the perfect combination of historical fiction, action, adventure, and science fiction (and maybe just a little romance).

The main character, sixteen year old Dan Renfrew, finds himself transported back through time to England in 1066, during the famous battle of Hastings. Dan must figure out a way to save the day by preventing some rogue time travelers from accomplishing their mission to change the course of history. I loved the character development almost as much as the plot.

The second book in the series, The Celtic Deception, just came out. I just started it, but I can already tell that I am going to love it as much as the first one. If you like time travel and historical fiction and are looking for something light and fun to read, then I highly recommend this series. The author is a historian as well, and he has at least five more Jump in Time books coming out.




Looking for more young adult books about time travel? Check out Glitch by Laura Martin and The Gideon Trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer.

If you want something a little more serious and mind-bending, check out Timeline by Michael Crichton and Recursion by Blake Crouch in our adult fiction collection.





Andrea
Circulation Supervisor


No comments: